Ave Maria, D 839 - Latin - B flat Major
Ellens dritter Gesang - Hymne an die Jungfrau - D 839 - Op. 52, No. 6Franz Schubert's famous Ave Maria! Jungfrau mild! (or Ellens Gesang III) was composed in April 1825, but the manuscript has been lost.
It was first published on April 5, 1826, by Matthias Artaria in Vienna (catalog number 814) as No. 6 of Opus 52 (Book 2), dedicated by Schubert to Sofie Gräfin Weissenwolff, née Komtesse Breuner.
The song was first published with English and German words.
The English words are taken from Sir Walter Scott's poem The Lady of the Lake, and were translated to German by Adam Storck.
It was first performed on the 31st of January 1828 at the Musikverein in Vienna.
It was Schubert's brother Ferdinand who arranged this song for use in churches, with orchestral accompaniment, on December 31, 1842.
Ferdinand's manuscript lies in the Peters-Kirche in Vienna.
The original key for Franz Schubert's Ave Maria is B flat Major.
The vocal range of the vocal part is F4 to F5 (C4 is middle C).
The lyrics consist of two verses in Latin.
This Ave Maria is also available in German.
Please note that this score contains indications for performing the ornaments (mordents and appoggiaturas) in accordance with the performance practice of the Romantic period.
Please note also that in order to accomodate different vocal ranges, we offer Schubert's Ave Maria in different keys :
- C major (vocal range : G4 to G5)
- B flat Major (vocal range : F4 to F5, original key)
- A flat Major (vocal range : Eb4 to Eb5)
- G Major (vocal range : D4 to D5)
- F Major (vocal range : C4 to C5)
- E flat Major (vocal range : Bb3 to Bb4)
Duration : 04:02
This sheet music appears in the following collections :
- Christmas Sheet Music
- Christmas sheet music for voice
- Franz Schubert (1797-1828)
- Romantic Sheet Music
- Schubert : Lieder with piano accompaniment
- Sheet music about animals, nature and the great outdoors
- Sheet music for funerals
- Sheet music for voice
- Sheetmusic2print's favorites!
- Wedding sheet music
- Worship & Praise sheet music
We Also Recommend
Ave Maria, D 839 - G Major
Voice (4/6 : Medium-Low) and piano
Ave Maria, D 839 - A flat Major
Voice (3/6 : Medium-High) and piano