Minuet in E minor
MenuetThis Minuet in E minor by Henry Purcell is an easy dance movement typical of the English Baroque period.
It has the following A-B musical form :
- Mm. 1-4 : Phrase A-1, in the main key of E minor
- Mm. 5-8 : Phrase A-2, modulating to the relative major key (G Major)
- Mm. 9-12 : Phrase B-1, starting in G Major, but modulating back to E minor
- Mm. 13-16 : Phrase B-2, resembling A-1, in the main key of E minor, and ending in a perfect cadence
Also, please take note that the editor has provided in this score suggestions for the correct realization of ornaments :
- The backfall, in measure 3 (last beat)
- The backfall and shake (English name for trill), in measure 4
We also recommend adding a double ascending appogiatura in measure 6 (last beat), and a passing note in measure 7 (first beat).
This Minuet is interesting in that the left hand seems to answer the right hand in both measures 2 and 9.
Duration : 00:58
This sheet music appears in the following collections :