Bagatelle in G minor, Op. 119, No. 1 -- Urtext
Bagatelle in G minorThis Bagatelle in G minor, Opus 119, No. 1 is one of Beethoven's best known bagatelles, and is a favorite among intermediate-level piano players.
It was composed during Beethoven's mature period, when he was 53 years old.
It has the following musical form :
- Measures 1-16 : Theme in the main key of G minor
- Measures 17-32 : Contrasting section in the key of E flat Major
- Measures 33-36 : Transition modulating back to G minor
- Measures 37-52 : Theme returns, in G minor, with its second phrase slightly varied
- Measures 53-65 : Codetta in G minor
- Measures 66-end : Conclusion in C minor, based on the first fragment of the theme, with an unusual ending on the dominant chord (G) of the key of C minor
- Measures 14 and 42 : we have added slurs here, in confirmity with measures 6 and 50
- Measure 20 : the autograph as well as the Clementi & Co. edition (London, 1823) have parallel Ab4-G4 on the first two beats of the right hand. We give F4-Eb4 as in the Sauer & Liedersdorf (Vienna, 1824) edition
- Measure 65 : the autograph has a quarter rest on the first beat of the right hand, and the G5 on the second beat. The Vienna 1824 edition has G5 on the first beat and the rest on the second beat
- Measure 72 : the Vienna 1824 edition and the Schlesinger edition show arpeggiations in both hands here, which do not appear in the autograph
Duration : 02:13
This sheet music appears in the following collections :